2016-2017 - An Exceptional Mobilisation

2016 and 2017 will be exceptional years for those who continuously support the most abandoned people in their efforts to free themselves from the grip and violence of extreme poverty.

In 2016 we will begin to prepare a worldwide campaign to take place in 2017, a year marked by two significant dates: the 30th anniversary of the World Day For Overcoming Extreme Poverty and of the Call engraved on the Commemorative Stone in honour of the victims of extreme poverty on 17 October 1987; and the centenary of Father Joseph Wresinski (12 February 1917) who launched this Day.

This worldwide mobilisation concerns you, correspondents and friends of the Forum on Overcoming Extreme Poverty who regularly celebrate 17 October with depth and creativity. Indeed, its aim is to root daily commitments against poverty in the spirit and meaning of the 17 October, so that our “solemn duty” to come together spreads to the most remote corners of our world.

Within the framework of this mobilisation, the themes for the celebration of the 17 October have this time been considered for two years consecutively. From the consultations already undertaken, an agreement has been obtained on the themes presented below, although their formulation could change slightly:

- 2016:
From humiliation and exclusion to participation:
Achieving Human Rights for all

- 2017:
Responding to the Call of October 17, 1987:
Breaking the silence around the violence of extreme poverty

In the light of your experience,do you agree to share your own understanding of these themes, and to comment on them? What thoughts or reflections do they inspire in you? Do they reflect what you are living today, what people and communities in which you are involved with are experiencing as well?

Your contributions will help to enrich the conceptual note which accompanies the theme every year.

We thank you very much.

Forum on Overcoming Extreme Poverty Team

5 comments for this discussion

It is wonderful to understand that 2016 theme will be:

From humiliation and exclusion to participation: Achieving Human Rights for All

Yes, its a wonderful theme, you should be aware of the Chennai floods which devastated our city and suburbs. We carried out a big relief effort for a few days.

Human rights was well understood in those days, the rich who would not turn his eyes to a normal man, had to stand in the same queue for food.

Short term poverty and pain played a great role to every citizen on how to treat others.

I strongly believe that this is a module from the GREAT DIVINE, cross cutting many religions, also caste, creed and colour.

However, this repentance was short lived, once they were back on track and their normal life restored, people went back to their non caring , no love attitude.

This basic brotherly love is important in achieving human rights. Yes laws , promulgation, ordinance play a role. However we should take the lesson of LOVE ONE ANOTHER awareness, which would bring HUMAN RIGHTS POSSIBLE FOR ALL.

Michael H., India

Dear Forum Team, Thanks for your mail inviting me, Purnodaya to participate in these valuable events through our observations.

Despite of our silence we are truly gearing our work and always gain strength by the vision and spirit of Fr. Joseph Wresinski, whose spirit we were able encounter far back in early nineties.

I am glad to contribute to your request and follow the idea with my co group and respond to you sometime later.

Blessings, Martin C, Sri Lanka

Thank you so much for the email. Poverty is on the increase, worse due to climate change infringing upon us and food insecurity. Rural women, children...must be the focus...What would you like us to do ! Gradually Poverty has fallen from the Global Agenda, though climate change, the many global political & economic changes greatly effect the poor. We should try to take the SDG's agenda to the grass root's : in order to make people understand it at micro-level & form pressure groups to make their Governments change their priorities.

Women, children living in the rural areas....must be a part of this change !

Shaheen, Bunyad Pakistan

Dear Forum Team, Thank you for the email about the themes.

From humiliation and exclusion to participation:

Comment: the above theme is still a dream to many African states including Kenya, there are no active mechanisms that binds the poor and the rich, each individual suffers their own problems and so in my personal opinion I would not go by this since it is a dream and true vision in my life and my country if I may speak on behalf of my fellow poor Kenyans.

Achieving Human Rights for all - 2017:

Comment: The above theme have some sense in it since everyone is trying to make it possible to have human right respected across the globe, though it is great joinery, we are still living under colony, sometime when we request support we have to abide by the interest of the people who are supporting you leaving your own value and aims, as second, these are the reasons we have not achieved the full dream on human rights yet it is essential for everyone to experience it.

Responding to the Call of October 17, 1987:

Comment: Yes, this sounds great although, it lacked the tagline that would connect the actual reality and not just history. Its a good statement.

Breaking the silence around the violence of extreme poverty

Comments: This is catchy and so true, since we are all advocate longing for justice and the movement like ATD is working day and night to have this experience across the world. Therefore, it is worth using, you can consider my backing in this, it is slowly happening in my world, because when you create awareness there is a possible change to occur in the near future, my concept on the theory of change in African context is “Education” when you give education to the poor individuals, they can learn and be able to be in full control of themselves. Education bring change to African lives and I hope is everywhere.

Duncan A, Young Single Mothers Empowerment Group, Kenya

Hello!

It has indeed been a very busy time. Thank you for the email. Let me get some feedback from all our teams of people and get back to you!

Thanks

Jean, Afrika Tikkun