Text of the UN resolution recognising the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty in 1992.
The General Assembly
Noting that the eradication of poverty and destitution in all countries, in particular in developing countries, has become one of the priorities of development for the 1990s, and considering that the promotion of the eradication of poverty and destitution requires public awareness,
Welcoming the fact that certain non-governmental organizations, on the initiative of one non governmental organization, have in many States in recent years observed 17 October as World Day for Overcoming Extreme Poverty,
1. Decides to declare 17 October as International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, to be observed beginning in 1993;
2. Notes that activities undertaken with respect on the Day will take into account those undertaken each 17 October by certain non-governmental organizations;
3. Invites all States to devote the Day to presenting and promoting, as appropriate in the national context, concrete activities on the eradication of poverty and destitution,
4. Also invites the Secretary-General to make recommendations on ways and means by which the United Nations Secretariat could, with existing resources and without prejudice to ongoing activities, assist States in organizing their national activities for the observance of International Day for he Eradication of Poverty ;
5. Further invites intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations to assist States, at their request, in organizing national activities for the observance of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, paying due attention to the specific problems of the destitute ;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to take the measures necessary, within existing resources, to ensure the success of the observance by the United Nations of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty ;
7. Also requests the Secretary-General to inform the General Assembly at its fiftieth session on the implementation of the present resolution.
Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on December 22, 1992